page contents

salem

salem

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Cats, Concerns, Careless Life

Lucia, great mummy

Janina and kitten Capucco

Disinfection of streets

"Men, children, cats and dogs, I treat them all the same." Marita Seneca (late friend of mine, psychologist, never found out whether the great ancient philosopher Seneca was her ancestor.) -Curfew, this "stay at home" has just been extended for yet another two weeks, this means five weeks altogether. Some kids want to play football again, they are addicted and don't understand what it's all about. Almost no traffic, quiet roads, silence in a normally rather loud and busy quarter. With restaurants and meat selling shops (apart from supermarkets) closed, there is less food available now for homeless cats and dogs. In addition some really uninformed cold hearted guys kick out their innocent  animal, thinking it might transmit the virus (utterly nonsense). I checked some places where cats tend to meet (thereby protect us against rats, mice, etc) and was happy to note that here are folks who share food with these little four legged darlings and also don't forget to leave water for them, usually in a shortened plastic bottle. I hope croquettes will continue to be on sale in Tunisia as a lot is imported and with Corona production is likely to be slowed down. I would hate to see my gorgeous little treasures hungry. They really need and appreciate my "cats table". Today I overslept and my lovely Tiger did his best to wake me up, he knows the right time without ever employing a clock. And there they were, all these beauties singing for me: "We are hungry, hungry....". The water meter is installed behind a kind of box created in the house wall. For a while I noticed that the door of this box was being opened and wondered why as it was not easy to access behind flower pots and a fencing. The explanation came as a real surprise to me, Lucia, one of my regular visitors to my cats' table, had chosen the box to have her kittens there, four of them. Not a bad choice, well protected against bad weather and little hooligans, food and water pretty close by. Only regret I couldn't clean and make the floor more comfortable for the little family. I have been told that some folks around here envy my cats, they believe that the cats are better cared for than they deserve, salami and mineral water, expensive for the poor. Actually, I don't think these persons should be eating pets' food (salami for cats and dogs), okay, sometimes in the past it was also turkey sausage - but then I myself stopped eating meat many years ago. Concerning the mineral water, we have too many cats to afford buying this for them. Our doctor advised us not to drink the tapped water in Tunisia as it contains too much lime and would make us sick. I guess we have been watched buying much mineral water. By the way, with less tourists here for the time being, shouldn't our good citizens perhaps start to understand the importance of expats for the economy? They bring more money than a tourist on a short, often all inclusive, holiday. Further, several Europeans help and support homeless animals here, feed them and take them to the vet if necessary. To those who say that they could also do with someone paying for their medical treatments, I would like to answer that the money the vet receives also helps others, money circulates, besides, I have helped some persons - within my limits - to pay for necessary medical treatments. During this difficult time with the Corona virus, threatening young and old, rich and poor, black and white folks, we don't need envy and selfishness, but solidarity and wisdom.


No comments :

Post a Comment